How to Outsource Web Development
Table of content
When people land on your website, what’s the first thing they notice? Your slogan? The introductory message? Mission statement? Of course not.
The first thing 9 out of 10 people will notice is the design. And if the design fails to make an impression, the person that found your website will leave. They’ll leave quickly.
You have less than 3 seconds to impress the visitor. You better have a functional, polished website that’s easy to navigate and pretty to look at. But how can you do that when you don’t have any web design skills?
Let’s see why and how to outsource web development.
Why Should You Outsource?
For quite some time, outsourcing web development has been a global trend. Large companies have done it for the last three decades. Today, outsourcing is available to organizations of all sizes.
As research shows, roughly 55% of website development companies outsource at least a portion of their work.
There are many reasons why you should consider outsourcing your web development needs. However, as Deloitte's research shows, most companies outsource their work for three specific reasons:
- 59% of companies outsource development to save costs
- 57% of companies use outsourcing to focus on core competencies
- 47% of companies outsource to solve capacity problems
Benefits of Web Development and Outsourcing
You're still not sure about outsourcing? Do you think it would be wiser to wait and think about it more? That's not a great idea. Around 7 out of 10 of your competitors are already doing it. If you wait too long, you might find it challenging to catch up.
Outsourcing comes with many benefits that can help you save time and money, all while freeing up your resources to focus on what you're good at - your core business.
Some of the main benefits of outsourcing web development are
- Saving money and time: Hiring an in-house team of developers is expensive. Not only do you have to pay their salaries, but you also need to provide them with the necessary tools and resources.
- Focus on your core business: When you outsource, you can focus on what you do best and leave the web development to someone else.
- Larger talent pool: You have access to a larger talent pool when you outsource. Meaning you can find the best developers for your needs without searching high and low.
- Scalability: Is your organization in need of labor? No problem. When you outsource, you can quickly scale up or down as needed.
- Access to a broader set of skills: When you outsource, you gain access to developers with specialized knowledge and skills that may not be available in-house.
How to Outsource Web Development in 5 Easy Steps
There are many ways to outsource your web development needs. You can find web developers on your own or use a web development agency. But before you get in touch with developers, there are certain things you need to do.
Here are five steps you need to take before you can leverage the benefits of outsourcing.
1. Work Out a Clear Goal
Before looking for a web developer, you must have a clear goal. What do you want your website to achieve? Do you want to increase sales? Drive more traffic to your site? Improve customer retention?
If you don’t have a clear goal, you'll spend a ton of time wandering, even if you find a talented group of developers. And that can cost a lot.
That's why you need to start with talking with your team, formulating measurable goals, and writing them down. You should answer the following questions:
- What is the final goal of your project?
- How much time do you need to accomplish it?
- What are the needs of this project?
After you’ve established the goals of your project, it’s time to start working on the requirements.
2. Establish Project Requirements
This is a critical step in outsourcing website design and development because it will help you find developers that suit your specific needs.
You need to be as specific as possible. You can do that by answering the following questions:
- What's the ultimate goal of your business?
- What are your tech requirements?
- How much money needs to be spent?
When negotiating with the outsourcing team, establishing a clear timeframe and software budget is necessary. That will help them make budget-friendly and time-efficient decisions from the very start.
3. Calculate the Budget
How much money are you willing to spend on this project? To know this, you also have to find out how much it costs to outsource website development.
You need to have a clear idea of how much money you're willing to invest. Once you have that, you can start looking for developers who fall within your budget.
Although outsourcing is a great way to save yourself some money, if your project drags for too long, it can cost more than you can imagine. Remember, outsourcing is a $578 billion industry.
And a large chunk of that spending goes into web development.
4. Set Up the Goals
After you’ve worked out your goals and requirements, it’s time to set up some measurable goals.
Setting up the goals will help you track the success of your project. You need to answer the following questions:
- What are your business goals?
- What are your development goals?
- What are your user experience goals?
These questions will help you identify what you want to achieve with your project. Once you have that, you can start looking for a team of developers who can help you achieve your goals.
5. Select a Web Developer
You don’t have to wonder how to outsource web development anymore. But now that you know what to look for and how to set up the entire website development process, you need to build your own team. You can do that by:
- Asking for referrals: Ask your friends, family, and of course, people in your industry if they’ve worked with web developers in the past.
- Looking at portfolios: By looking through their past work, you can understand how they approach different challenges and how well they perform under pressure.
- Using a web development agency: If you have the budget, you can use a web development agency to find and hire the right team for your needs.
Find the Right Web Development Team for You!
Outsourcing your web development needs can help you save time and money. But only if you do it the right way. By following the tips in this blog post, you can find the perfect team for your project and avoid any costly mistakes.
Now that you know how to outsource web development, it’s time to get started on your project.
No matter how large or complex your project is, the developers at Striped Horse can help you achieve your goals. Contact us today to learn more about our services and what we usually do for our clients.